Information we may collect about you
Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. We may collect and process the following personal information about you:
- Contact information (such as name, email address, mailing address) that you provide by completing forms on the Site;
- Donation information, such as credit card information;
- The content of any communications that you send to us;
- Information described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
By providing your personal information to us via the Site, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement. If you choose not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the requested services.
How we use your personal information
Subject to applicable data protection laws, we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide you with the services and information offered through the Site, including processing your donations to the TESS Research Foundation or processing your contributions to the TESSRegistry via the Site.
- to contact you and respond to your requests and inquiries;
- for business administration purposes;
- to send you newsletters regarding the TESS Research Foundation and relevant scientific updates.
- for fraud prevention and detection and to comply with applicable laws, regulations or codes of practice.
Sharing of your personal information
We may use selected third parties to provide us with services, including companies that provide us with technical support and assistance in respect of the Site, who may have access to your personal information while performing services on our behalf.
Similarly, we may share your personal information as required or permitted by law to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process or government request, or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is legally required or otherwise necessary to protect our rights and property, or the rights, property or safety of others, including to advisers, law enforcement, judicial and regulatory authorities. We may also transfer your personal information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or shares (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings.)
Communication from us
We may periodically send you e-mails to provide information about us, relevant scientific or clinical developments, community events, and other related information. If applicable law requires it, we will obtain your consent before sending such emails. If you wish to stop receiving all communications or only certain types of communications from us, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Inquiry Rights
If you reside in California, you have the right to ask us one (1) time each year if we have shared Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. At the present time we do not release information to third parties for marketing purposes. To make a request, please send us an e-mail (email@example.com). Indicate in your e-mail that you are a California resident making a “Shine the Light” inquiry.
Your European Privacy Rights
For European residents only. Under European data protection law, you may have certain data subject rights, which may be subject to limitations and/or restriction. These rights may include:
- The right to access to your personal data;
- The right to obtain rectification of your personal data without undue delay where that personal data is inaccurate or incomplete;
- The right to request that personal information held about you is deleted;
- The right to obtain the restriction of the processing undertaken by us on your personal data in certain circumstances, such as where the accuracy of the personal data is contested by you;
- The right to object to processing based on legitimate interests and direct marketing; and
- The right to data portability, which allows you to move, copy, or transfer personal information from one organization to another, where technically feasible.
Where we have obtained your consent for the processing of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of the processing that we carried out prior to the withdrawal.
For purposes of European data protection laws, TESS Research Foundation is the data controller, the company responsible for controlling the processing of personal information covered by this Policy.
To exercise these data subject rights or withdraw consent, you should submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org. You also have the right to lodge a complaint about the processing of your personal information to your local data protection authority.
Security and retention of your personal information
We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. However, no method of security or method of transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. You should always use caution when transmitting personal information over the Internet.
Cookies and other similar technologies
We automatically collect basic technical information from all visitors to the Sites. We collect technical information during your visit to the Site through our automatic data collection tools, which may include cookies and other similar technologies.
The Site may, from time to time, contain links to external sites operated by third parties. We are not responsible for these third party sites or the content of such third party sites. Once you have left the Site, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement for the website you visit.
Children’s online privacy
This Site is not directed towards children under 13 years of age nor do we knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you are under 13, please do not use the Site or submit any personal information to us. If you believe that we have unintentionally collected personal information about your child, you can contact us as described below.
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is subject to occasional revisions and if we make material changes to this Policy, we will notify you by means of a prominent notice on this Site.